Saturday 12 July 2008

Hmmmm.


I've decided I really don't like this "being injured" business.

Aside from the obvious issues of being unable to climb properly, unable to push myself, unable to do many of the more physical facets of climbing, unable to train when the weather is poor, of being
hampered in my desires and plans, of struggling to stay fit and physically active, and of not having the FUN that a climbing lifestyle entails... Aside from all that, it is more detrimental than I thought.

Firstly, I feel increasingly distant from the climbing scene and climbing community (I have less to discuss and share as usual and less lure to being involved) and sometimes from some climbing friends and acquaintances too, whose company I'm not sharing because I can't share what we most have in common. It seems strange how quickly one can go from feeling involved to feeling almost forgotten.

Secondly, I find it frustrating just how much a proper injury hampers you. I still keep up with the climbing media, obviously, I read and watch and learn and feel inspiration. But it is all for nothing if you can't actually do it. All discourse on training and progression and psychology and inspiration....it is all irrelevant if you literally cannot get on rock and pull hard.

Thirdly, not climbing is not good for my well-being. It is an activity and lifestyle I find enriching on many levels, from the pleasure of movement to the personal progress of tackling challenges, to the richness of being involved in an intense activity outdoors. Without partaking in it....I feel somewhat diminished.

ON THE PLUS SIDE however, at least the weather is variable enough (it seems the same pattern as last year - very good late spring, poor and showery early summer....will it have the same glorious dry autumn?? I hope!!) that the all-important exploratory away trips would have been a bit tricky anyway. It is as good a time to rest as any (i.e. not really a good time, but a better time now than back in May when Scotland was on the cards). And I've got other stuff to do and some friends around and stuff....it's okay I guess.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well that was a cheery little post, or not! Poor Fiend, I am happy to discuss hot boys, makeup and/or the joys of lying about eating cake if you get really desperate for some chat ;o) It's not climbing but they each have their own individual benefits, though I'm not sure how much so for you...

Fiend said...

Mmmmm hot boys...

Eh hang on a mo...!?

Sarah Clough said...

Three things, since I understand the feeling:
() It's tough, but there's up days and down days. Just cos you're feeling peed off by the situation, doesn't mean it's all bad - remember the good things, like trips away you had where you could be more sociable because you didn't have specific aims.
() Don't feel that just because you feel distanced from your friends that they're no longer friends or are only friends because of climbing. You could ask them if they want to do something different (film, theatre, skiing etc) - they probably won't think to ask you as they haven't changed it's you that's injured, so don't wait for them to come to you, but they may well be up for something if you suggest it.
() Injuries aren't forever, but don't be tempted to sit and wait it out (or feel victimised - cf RWW) as you'll just think about it more. Remember the rains of 2006? I didn't adapt, and I lost an entire summer. Could have trained indoors instead but I didn't think of that.
You may already know all this. And thinking/writing about injuries makes my elbows hurt, bah.