Tuesday 17 June 2008

Not Wales?


More like, Wales, Not Climbing. But I can't resist recycling titles.

I was over in North Wales this weekend, more of a social visit (my presence was welcomed apparently!) than a climbing visit. Which was a bit of an odd concept especially given the weather was top notch and we were staying on a campsite approx 2 minutes drive from Gogarth, but in line with the motto of the best climbing is not climbing, it seemed an acceptable plan.

What was even more of an odd concept is that I actually had the opportunity to climb on Saturday (and later, as it happened on Sunday, but by then I'd got into the "rest weekend" spirit), but had a sudden attack of lethargy, laziness, and a lack of moral fibre. That and feeling knackered from eating crap most of the week and having no energy. Thus we drove to Gogarth, walked around for a little bit, ate a cafe lunch, and fell asleep in the sun. Hardcore.

(Bet you wouldn't catch Martin Crocker or Dave Birkett doing that :S)

Anyway, this "so close yet so far" faffery did help clarify my climbing goals and inspirations for this year, including primarily Mid-Wales and a bit of North Wales. There are several places I'm keen to explore and several routes I'm keen to do, and subject to summer monsoons etc, the time is now. I've done the mileage and exploration thing in Scotland, I've found a level my elbow can cope with, and I'm keen to get involved with specific challenges. I'll post a fresh ticklist soon.

(P.S. Have finished destroying the ivy TFFT.)

No comments: